Saturday, September 5, 2009

Frustration and the SBC!

Well my frustration has officially reached a point that I must say a few things about the events that are going on in the SBC. I am a "young leader." I am a 34 year-old pastor. I am a graduate of the Baptist College of Florida and New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (NOBTS). I am working towards my Doctorate of Ministry at NOBTS. My entire SBC education has had 1 underlying theme: SUPPORT THE COOPERATIVE PROGRAM!

Currently my church supports the Cooperative Program (CP) by giving 10%. I must say that as a "young leader" - I have a few concerns about what is going on with the SBC.

Clearly - I have no intentions of leaving the SBC. But, I must ask some tough questions. I fully support and appreciate the Great Commission Resurgence (GCR) Taskforce. I respect the task force that has been given the charge of looking at some very challenging issues.

But, after reading this article http://www.arkansasbaptist.org/current_news/?id=734 I am concerned with the perception that you can't judge a church's commitment to the Great Commission (GC) by observing how much they give to the CP. I agree with this statement. But, you can judge a church's commitment to the SBC by their commitment to the CP.

Tragically I am led to this question - what would happen if ALL churches in the SBC voted to lower their CP giving to 2.5 or 3.5 percent? One answer - the SBC would see some real restructuring.

I am also led to this question. Why are so many people that give so little of their undesignated budgets to the CP in a place of leadership to help propose changes to the SBC? I know that is a tough question. It is a question that some of my friends and peers don't want to ask. And, they don't want others asking that question.

When I was a chaplain in the U. S. Army one of my supervisors gave me some great advice. Chaplain Walker said, Mullis - Don't drink the Kool-Aid. I am not comparing these great men and women leading this task force to Jim Jones. But, I do believe that we must look at the facts. We must carry things out to a logical conclusion. We must ask the question - where is the SBC really headed? What is the future of the CP? Should our churches follow the leadership of those on this task force and reduce our CP giving? I am just sayin'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment