Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Great Commission and NOBTS

Recently I was blessed to participate in graduation at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (NOBTS).  I first graduate from NOBTS in 2001 with a Master of Divinity Degree.  The most impressive thing about NOBTS isn't its president, faculty, local food or fabulous location.  The most impressive thing about NOBTS is that they instill a desire to fulfill the Great Commission into every one of their students.  The Great Commission is about going, teaching Christ's message, and baptizing those who repent and believe.
   
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20


These words from Jesus remind us where following Christ can take us...to the nations.  We must be reminded of this commission.  We must ask if we are incorporating this commission into our lives?  Do our lives revolve around fulfilling this commission?  Or, do we see this statement as something that we can accomplish while we are doing our "own thing?"  My desire isn't to do my "own thing" while trying to fulfill the Great Commission as a sidebar.  Instead my desire is to make the fulfillment of this commission the centerpiece of my life and ministry.

We need a shift in our personal lives, families, and in our churches.  We need to be driven to fulfill the Great Commission in light of the Great Commandment. 

36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ Matthew 22:36-39

 

I am thankful for my theological and ministry education at NOBTS.  I am more thankful my education enhanced my desire to love God, love my neighbor, and to fulfill the Great Commission.  I wonder if you will rearrange and reorganize your life to make this commission statement by Jesus paramount in your life?  

No comments:

Post a Comment